- Monday, March 01, 2004
- VeggieTales Theme Song – Rebecca St. James
- I Love My Lips – Stevenson
- Promised Land – Sanctus Real
- In the Belly of the Whale – Newsboys
- The Water Buffalo Song – Superchic[k]
- I'm So Blue – Paul Colman
- The Hairbrush Song – Audio Adrenaline
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything – Relient K
- I Can Be Your Friend – The O.C. Supertones
- His Cheeseburger – Tait
- Stand – Skillet
Ten years ago, an album called
Most will agree that the music of VeggieTales is brilliant, thanks to Big Idea's musical genius Kurt Heinecke. He has a keen sense of classical, opera, Broadway, and pop standards, allowing him to match music to the comedic slapstick and melodrama on the screen. Wit is essential, not just in lyrics, but also in selecting genre, arrangement, writing the melody, and the comedic acting of the voices. Whether you're watching or listening, you're always in on the joke, with a musical elbow to the ribs if things ever come close to sounding serious.
That's why most of
Same with Audio Adrenaline's straight-faced rendering of "The Hairbrush Song," which was originally a wonderful parody of Gilbert & Sullivan on VeggieTales. They've used this cover frequently in concert, but am I the only one who finds it plodding and lifeless? Superchic[k]'s "Water Buffalo Song" is not nearly as much fun as you'd hope, offering a headache-inducing example of repetition, and Skillet's version of "Stand" is merely loud.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content