So that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:4-6
It is commonly said that thoughts drive feelings and feelings drive actions. This segment from Romans well illustrates this concept. If we want to walk in the Spirit we have to be thinking about the things of the Spirit. So what are the things of the Spirit? What does God want me to think about so I can fully walk in step with Him? Check out these verses:
· Offer up prayer and praise in place of worry- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Philippians 4:6-8
· Think about others before yoursel f- Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves. Philippians 2:3
· Take up a heavenly perspective- Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth- Colossians 3:2. Also, Romans 8:6- For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace.
· Surrender your comfor t- Since Christ suffered while he was in his body, strengthen yourselves with the same way of thinking. 1 Peter 4:1 NCV
· Steadily rest your trust and focus on God- You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Isaiah 26:3 NKJV
· Be transformed by God’s Word in your thinking- And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
· Be of one mind with the family of God
- Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel. Philippians 1:27-28
· Be humble in your thoughts- Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; Philippians 2:3
These are just a few of the verses about our minds. If you are like me, there is a great deal filling your brain space. God has design and instruction for it! Thankfully, we have not been left to the wild jungle of our thoughts! I like to put verses around my house to help me grow in certain areas. At one point I filled my world with verses about my mind and thinking so that I would be reminded of God’s Word. That practice has greatly helped this forgetful girl to keep her thoughts aligned with God’s truth. May God’s Word transform all of our thinking more and more so that we might walk more fully in step with Him.
follow Motl Ministries on facebook or twitter!
Looking for more encouragement in your walk with God?
Check out Walking with Jesus 101: One Hundred and One Days of Devotionals to Strengthen your Walk with God
Most of us have wished for a Cinderella moment when we could step into a new pair of shoes and in the blink of an eye have our lives transformed. Or, perhaps like Dorothy, we wish we could close our eyes, click our heels and find ourselves instantly transported away from the adventure we accidentally got dropped into. While it might not come from new shoes or heel clicking, God knows our need for a changed life and fresh start! Discover the life transformation that happens when you say "Yes" to God and step into His fullness. Walking with Jesus 101 is a collection of devotionals journeying through the Scriptures that point our feet to God's pathway for living. What walk of obedience, leap of faith or stand of endurance might God be calling you to? He has good things stored up for His children who eagerly seek His highway for living!