Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV
As I sit here at my computer, I wonder about you on the other side of the cyberspace screen. What hinders you? What tempts you to grow weary or lose heart? I know what it is for me! And I know how easy it is to slip off the race track for a breather, then maybe climb into the audience stands and grab a hot dog... then sit and watch everyone else; after all they do a much better job at this running business than me!
The hard part about running in this life is how easy it is to get tangled and distracted, tangled and tired, tangled and discouraged.
The other day, my husband prayed that God would ready us for Him - whether for His coming for all of us, or just us as individuals. It was a good reminder for me. As I thought about my life, I lamented my many weaknesses that I so deeply wished to have grown-up more in before I met Jesus face to face. As far as I know there’s still “time,” but none of us really knows where the finish line on our race is. I began thinking afresh about how I want to arrive at that finish line - desperate for God’s grace and Jesus’ sacrifice, but faithful. I would wish to be found faithful to have offered up my whole heart. I let things entangle and discourage me too much still. You too?
This verse is one of those great encouragement verses, but the one facet of truth from this verse I want to focus on is the phrase “fixing out eyes on Jesus, the pioneer (or author) and perfecter of (our) faith.”
The amazing thing about this whole faith “run” is that the part we are responsible for is our focus (and even that God is willing to help us with!). We just have to focus our hearts and lives on Christ, it is Him who does the rest of the hard stuff!
Jesus is the One who set out before us:
The LORD your God who goes before you will Himself fight on your behalf... Deuteronomy 1:30 NAS
There is no part of this race He hasn’t already run and there is no part of it you will run alone!
He is the One who accomplishes and finishes the good work:
The LORD will accomplish what concerns me; Your lovingkindness, O LORD, is everlasting; Psalm 138:8 NASU For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:5-7 NAS
You see, that cloud of witnesses didn’t run the race of faith so well because they were particularly “good” or gifted or special. But because they cemented their focus on Christ. It is He who calls us and completes us. There’s nothing we can do to add to His handiwork, except offer a heart that is faithfully fixed on Him. If life is threatening to tangle you in sin or discouragement, take a moment to realign your focus. Your faithfulness will be met with His.
I am praying for an extra dose of grace to propel your "running" today!
In His Love,
1. Like/follow Motl Ministries on facebook or twitter (if you haven't already)
2. Then leave a comment or share the link from fb/twitter to be entered! We'll be able to see your comment or share.
3. For some of you who don't use facebook or twitter, you can send us an email stating that you'd like to be entered in the give-away.
4. Drawings are open from Friday to Thursday of the next week. Then each Friday we will announce the winner of last week's drawing and the new give-away. Entries are shuffled and the winner is selected randomly.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by April Motl
- I am My Beloved's and My Beloved is MineFriday, December 06, 2013
- An Adoring LoveFriday, November 01, 2013
- Walls Down Wednesday: His Kingdom Come into Your RelationshipsWednesday, October 30, 2013
- When You're Uncomfortable in Your Own SkinMonday, October 28, 2013
- Walls Down Wednesday: Hallowed Be His NameWednesday, October 23, 2013
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content