One unarmed woman against a man carrying an AK-47 rifle and 500 rounds of ammo. That’s the scene that occurred Tuesday, August 20, at Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy in Atlanta, Georgia. But unlike many school tragedies that have hit America in recent years, this one turned out much differently.
Antoinette Tuff, an aptly named school clerk, met the gunman as he entered the school. According to Tuff, she was terrified, but she didn’t let that stop her:
“He had a look on him that he was willing to kill,” said Antoinette Tuff, a school clerk. “He said he didn't have any reason to live, and he knew he was going to die today.” According to the Washington Post, Tuff began telling him the story of her own life in order to calm him down. She described how her separation from her husband after 33 years of marriage left her feeling lonely and in pain, but she encouraged the man not to succumb to despair.
She said she prayed for the gunman during the crisis, and credited God with helping her maintain her composure.
“I give it all to God. I'm not the hero. I was terrified,” she said. “I just explained to him that I loved him,” she said. "I didn't know his name, I didn't know much about him, but I did love him.”
In this video, Tuff explains how she got the gunman to lay down his weapon:
God promises courage in the face of crisis, and Tuff’s stand certainly testifies to that.
How about you? How has God given you the courage to face a dangerous situation?
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Ryan Duncan
- Surely the 5th Commandment Doesn't Apply Once I Grow Up, Right?Friday, September 19, 2014
- 3 Tips for Avoiding Soap Operas at ChurchThursday, September 18, 2014
- 25 Ways to Teach Your Child to Have an Attitude of EntitlementWednesday, September 17, 2014
- What’s Wrong with Al Mohler’s Critique of Hillsong?Tuesday, September 16, 2014
- Should Pastors Follow Pope Francis and Marry Cohabiting Couples?Monday, September 15, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content