May 1 is the 2014 National Day of Prayer, a day for communities to come together and pray for our nation, churches, families and each other.
The theme this year is “One Voice, United in Prayer.” It’s inspired by Romans 15:6, “So that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” An estimated 40,000 events nationwide will mark the day, including many at local and national government buildings.
In Washington D.C., lawmakers will observe National Day of Prayer on Capitol Hill, where congressmen like Rep. James Lankford (R-Okla.), are urging Americans to pray for the nation, CBN News reports.
“There is still a God in heaven who hears our prayer [and] cares for our lives,” Lankford said.
Ahead of the event, the 25th annual U.S. Capitol Bible reading marathon began Sunday evening and will be completed today.
On a day like today, it’s important to remind ourselves of why we pray. John Bornschein, Vice Chairman of the National Day of Prayer Task Force, gives us a few key reasons (head over to BibleStudyTools.com to read them all).
“1. We love Him. Just as a man and woman in love desire to be together and communicate, so we, if we love God, will desire to be with Him and to fellowship with Him in proportion to our love for Him.
2. We depend on God. He is our source. He is our life (Colossians 3:4). Through prayer, we receive the comfort, strength, and all the other resources we need in life, both naturally and spiritually. Prayer—relationship with God—is as necessary to the spiritual life as air is to the natural life.
3. Prayer allows us to resist temptation. Jesus warned His disciples to ‘watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation’ (Matthew 26:41, NKJV). Living a life without prayer can leave us weak and exposed, giving an opportunity for the enemy to gain ground and potentially lure us into sin.”
Are you doing anything to celebrate National Day of Prayer this year? Let us know in the comments section!
Kelly Givens is the editor of iBelieve.com.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by John UpChurch
- 5 Habits That Make You Powerless to Change Your LifeThursday, August 28, 2014
- 3 Misconceptions Christians Have about DivorceWednesday, August 27, 2014
- Ebola Infected Doctor Mocked for Thanking God for HealingTuesday, August 26, 2014
- What Miley Cyrus did at the VMA’sMonday, August 25, 2014
- Does the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Kill Babies?Friday, August 22, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content