During the Steve Deave radio show (where David Barton claimed that only four professors in the nation criticized The Jefferson Lies), he also had something to say (listen) about the Christian professors who have taken issue with his historical claims.
Barton said: "What happens is, and Christian professors were basically trained by pagan professors who hate God, and they’re just repeating what they’re been told."
I think what he might mean is ‘Christian professors who disagree with me were basically trained by pagan professors who hate God so they can't be right.’
Although he didn't mention us by name, I assume he is referring to Michael Coulter and me at the least since he was talking about our book critiquing his claims about Thomas Jefferson. For us, Barton’s theory doesn’t work out. My history training came from Cedarville University profs back when the school was more conservative than it is now. Everybody seems pretty fond of God around CU. Coulter went to Grove City College and then the conservative Catholic, University of Dallas.
More generally, Barton's claim is quite a strong and insulting statement and shows what I have come to see as a trend in Barton's descriptions of Christian college professors. Since so few Christian college professors cite his work favorably, I suppose he needs to find a way to disregard us.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Dr. Warren Throckmorton
- Former Colleague Claims His Work Was Plagiarized by Mark Driscoll in Two BooksFriday, August 01, 2014
- Citizens' Front Man Zach Bolen Resigns From Mars Hill ChurchSunday, June 08, 2014
- Prominent Ex-gay Group Has Ties To Unification ChurchMonday, December 30, 2013
- Another Publisher Investigates Books By Mark DriscollMonday, December 30, 2013
- The Institute on the Constitution's God and Government Project: A Call to Abandon the First AmendmentSaturday, October 12, 2013
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content