The Day of Truth is a 4 year old response to the GLSEN supported Day of Silence (just observed on the 25th). The Alliance Defense Fund sponsors it and it claims to break the silence of the the 25th with truth about homosexuality. The part that I find most objectionable about this day is the claim on the card given out at school is that change in homosexuality is possible. While I think that people may alter their behavior and I have worked with the Alliance Defense Fund to protect the right of clients to seek that end, I think it is quite another thing to promise change to high school kids who may have no religious or ideological reasons to want to consider it.
My intent here and now however is not to dwell on what I do not like about the Day of Truth. Rather, I want to propose that students consider a different approach. A small but passionate group of students distributed Golden Rule Pledge cards on Friday and some even remained silent. I will soon have some reports from the field. I believe many bridges were built and much ministry was conducted. Students from over 30 schools communicated the Golden Rule Pledge in one form or another and students from another 20 schools prayed for bridges to be built. I continue to believe gay people are not reached with the Gospel via protests and calls on them to change. Jesus calls on us to come first and then change. Repentence is certainly a part of conversion but the author and finisher of our faith is Jesus, not heterosexual attractions.
For those interested in the Golden Rule Pledge, go to the website www.goldenrulepledge.com.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Dr. Warren Throckmorton
- Former Colleague Claims His Work Was Plagiarized by Mark Driscoll in Two BooksFriday, August 01, 2014
- Citizens' Front Man Zach Bolen Resigns From Mars Hill ChurchSunday, June 08, 2014
- Prominent Ex-gay Group Has Ties To Unification ChurchMonday, December 30, 2013
- Another Publisher Investigates Books By Mark DriscollMonday, December 30, 2013
- The Institute on the Constitution's God and Government Project: A Call to Abandon the First AmendmentSaturday, October 12, 2013
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content