As I reported yesterday, the NEA delegates were entertaining the following new business item: It passed.
NEW BUSINESS ITEM 82
NEA will develop a comprehensive strategy to deal with the new and more sophisticated attacks on curricula, policies, and practices that support GLBT students, families, and staff members in public schools.
Extremist groups are using increasingly sophisticated and aggressive tactics to attack school districts with affirming GLBT policies, curriculum and practices. These tactics include litigation, so-called "Days of Truth" and attacks on the rights of gay students to form clubs. These groups are making schools less safe and are infringing on our members academic freedom.
Tom Nicholas, Connecticut
Relevant Strategic Priority
This NBI can be accomplished within the proposed 2005-06 Strategic Plan and
Budget at no additional cost.
I wonder what the strategy will be. No new moneys were allocated for the strategy but the union leadership did allocate money to rid itself of an irritating internal problem. The NEA engineered a take over of the Republican Educators Caucus by giving the group $170,000 to combat the Arnold Swartzenegger's proposed education reforms as well as Republican support for vouchers. Read the whole story in this Washington Times article.
The NEA delegates also rejected an academic freedom proposal that would have protected "intellectual pluralism and the free exchange of ideas" in the nation's classrooms.
The last item there is the crux of the matter. The majority of delegates at the NEA by their own votes and actions have nearly crushed any semblance of "intellectual pluralism and free exchange of ideas."
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Dr. Warren Throckmorton
- Former Colleague Claims His Work Was Plagiarized by Mark Driscoll in Two BooksFriday, August 01, 2014
- Citizens' Front Man Zach Bolen Resigns From Mars Hill ChurchSunday, June 08, 2014
- Prominent Ex-gay Group Has Ties To Unification ChurchMonday, December 30, 2013
- Another Publisher Investigates Books By Mark DriscollMonday, December 30, 2013
- The Institute on the Constitution's God and Government Project: A Call to Abandon the First AmendmentSaturday, October 12, 2013
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content