As I write this, the delegates to the National Educational Association convention in Los Angeles are debating a new business item that would put the NEA on record as opposing conservative views regarding the presentation of sexual orientation in schools. Here is the New Business Item:
NEW BUSINESS ITEM 82
NEA will develop a comprehensive strategy to deal with the new and more sophisticated attacks on curricula, policies, and practices that support GLBT students, families, and staff members in public schools.
Extremist groups are using increasingly sophisticated and aggressive tactics to attack school districts with affirming GLBT policies, curriculum and practices. These tactics include litigation, so-called "Days of Truth" and attacks on the rights of gay students to form clubs. These groups are making schools less safe and are infringing on our members academic freedom.
Tom Nicholas, Connecticut
Relevant Strategic Priority
This NBI can be accomplished within the proposed 2005-06 Strategic Plan and Budget at no additional cost.
How this relates to student achievement, I have no idea. Free speech and tolerance are great things for the mover of this New Business Item until he hears something he can't tolerate.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Dr. Warren Throckmorton
- Former Colleague Claims His Work Was Plagiarized by Mark Driscoll in Two BooksFriday, August 01, 2014
- Citizens' Front Man Zach Bolen Resigns From Mars Hill ChurchSunday, June 08, 2014
- Prominent Ex-gay Group Has Ties To Unification ChurchMonday, December 30, 2013
- Another Publisher Investigates Books By Mark DriscollMonday, December 30, 2013
- The Institute on the Constitution's God and Government Project: A Call to Abandon the First AmendmentSaturday, October 12, 2013
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content