Posted by Jim_Daly Sep 18, 2012
In this age of negotiating naming rights and corporate sponsorships, a youngster recently suggested the Ryder Cup was named after the Ryder Truck Company.
Because many of you are interested in golf and since Focus on the Family will be sponsoring a special event (more on this in a moment) in conjunction with this year’s tournament in Medinah, Illinois, I thought it would be fun to share five things you probably don’t know about the history of the Ryder Cup.
This biannual competition between the U.S. and teams from Europe dates back to the early part of the 20th century. Lost in the excitement of today’s competition and the rich tradition of the legendary tournament is the man behind the trophy:
2. Mr. Ryder was a Sunday school teacher as a young man and an ordained deacon at Trinity Congregational Church (now Trinity United Reformed Church).
3. Sam Ryder never played golf until he was 50 years of age when he was encouraged by a doctor to pick up the game in order to exercise and get some fresh air.
4. Wanting to share his wealth and spread appreciation for the game of golf, Mr. Ryder donated a trophy to the Free Church Ministers Golf Society in 1902 for a simple tournament.
5. That initial competition in 1902 was 25 years before official match play began. Still championing the sport, Mr. Ryder sponsored an international golf tournament in 1926 and donated another gold trophy in 1927 for a contest between American and British players.
In keeping with the evangelistic mission of Sam Ryder, I’m delighted to announce that Focus on the Family will be hosting a “1902 Sam Ryder Trophy Evening.” The event will take place on Wednesday, September 26, two days before the tournament begins. If you’re in the area, I’d love to have you swing by the Hotel Arista in Naperville, Illinois. I’ll be speaking there joined by the founder of Care for the Family, Rob Parsons and former Ryder Cup player, assistant captain, and British Open Champion, Bill Rogers. The 1902 trophy will be on display.
For more information and to register please click here.
Follow me on Twitter @Dalyfocus
Follow me on Facebook
Keep up with Focus on the Family on Facebook
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Daly
- Robin Williams: Could His Faith Have Prevented His Suicide?Monday, August 18, 2014
- Loving a Prodigal ChildFriday, August 15, 2014
- One Way to Prepare Your Teen for CollegeThursday, August 14, 2014
- A Secret That Can Change Your LifeWednesday, August 13, 2014
- Help Your Child Thrive in the Middle School YearsTuesday, August 12, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content