Off-Thinking: The 10 Most Common Misrepresentations about God
Kelly BalarieKelly, often called a "Cheerleader of Faith", encourages other to live with passion and purpose. While Kelly has suffered through various mental, physical and financial trials, she has found God's unique plan in these dark places.
- 2016 Mar 30
Things didn't work out. They went south. They broke down.
Isn't it funny how when things break,
what also breaks in our mind
is how God views us -
and how we view God?
We tend to think like this:
1. God is punishing me.
2. God is showing me how wrong I handled this.
3. God is taking this away because I don't deserve it.
4. God is forever angry at me.
5. God doesn't ever want me to be happy.
6. God doesn't hear me.
7. God doesn't care about me or my feelings.
8. God isn't tapped into what I need right now.
9. God's plans don't work well for people.
10. God forgot about me. He has many more to worry about.
*Bonus: I stink - and God knows it.
What we think about God, tends to define how we feel through life.
What do you tend to think about God?
A heart becomes unsettled when,
rather than seeing problems as windows, letting in the air of new faith,
we see them as things God uses to slam us.
I do it all the time. Somehow I figure God has gone moody again and is well-done-and-over with my shenanigans. With this mindset, the swirling winds of conflict, complications or conditions unfavorable are bound to erase feelings of peace and comfort.
Does this happen to you too?
Do you tend to lose the image of a good God?
God is good (Ps. 136:1). Whether I believe it or not, God still stays exactly the same.
6 Ways God is Good:
1. He works alongside those who wait for him.
No eye has seen a God besides you, who works for those who wait for him.” Is. 64:4
2. Like a daddy caring for a sick child, he doesn't sleep, but watches non-stop.
He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. Ps. 121:3
3. He needs nothing, but can give everything.
God is not served by human hands as though he needed anything, but he himself gives life and breath and everything. Acts 17:25
4. He shows himself strong for those who persevere in trust.
The eyes of the LORD run through the earth, to show himself strong for those who trust him. 2 Chron. 16:9
5. He delivers us so we can glorify him.
If I were hungry, I wouldn't tell you. Call on me, I will deliver you. You will glorify me. Ps. 50:15
6. He meets our needs according to his stockpiles of overflowing treasure.
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19
What I am coming to terms with is - the alarm of sinking feelings sounds in order to awaken us to the reality of faith-stampeding lies. Finding the lie means finding truth. Finding truth means we can look at it and decide if we'll continue to hold it or decide to stomp it down.
Will we believe that God is for us, not against us?
Not in words, but via our heart and in action?
The difference is tangible.
The results are palpable.
Get all Purposeful Faith blog posts via email - click here.