Combined date from 2002 to 2007 indicate that over 8.3 million children under 18 years of age (11.9 percent) lived with at least one parent who was dependent on or abused alcohol or an illicit drug during the past year.
Of these, almost 7.3 million (10.3 percent) lived with a parent who was dependent on or abused alcohol, and about 2.1 million (3.0 percent) lived with a parent who was dependent on or abused illicit drugs.
About 5.4 million children
under 18 years of age lived with a father who met the criteria for past
year substance dependence or abuse, and 3.4 million lived with a mother
who met the criteria.
Source: The NSDUH Report (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- Brain Imaging Shows Differences in Risk Taking TeensThursday, August 21, 2014
- Physically Neglected Boys Are More Likely To Become Violent AdolescentsWednesday, August 20, 2014
- Cost of Raising a Child Born in 2013 Nears $250KTuesday, August 19, 2014
- Fewer Children Being Born Outside Of Marriage Monday, August 18, 2014
- What's Hot? 08/15/14Friday, August 15, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content