Combined date from 2002 to 2007 indicate that over 8.3 million children under 18 years of age (11.9 percent) lived with at least one parent who was dependent on or abused alcohol or an illicit drug during the past year.
Of these, almost 7.3 million (10.3 percent) lived with a parent who was dependent on or abused alcohol, and about 2.1 million (3.0 percent) lived with a parent who was dependent on or abused illicit drugs.
About 5.4 million children
under 18 years of age lived with a father who met the criteria for past
year substance dependence or abuse, and 3.4 million lived with a mother
who met the criteria.
Source: The NSDUH Report (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- Smartphone Use in Restaurants Leads to Distracted ParentingWednesday, March 12, 2014
- How Much Data is Generated Every Minute? [Infographic]Wednesday, March 12, 2014
- Bullying Linked to Suicidal Behavior in AdolescentsTuesday, March 11, 2014
- Teens Likely to Get Opioid Rx for HeadachesMonday, March 10, 2014
- Teens Who Try E-Cigarettes Are More Likely to Try Tobacco TooFriday, March 07, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content