With the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Activision has broken the records set by the franchise’s previous outing, Call of Duty: Black Ops. The game has sold 6.5 million units in North America and the United Kingdom in only 24 hours, with an estimated sell-through of $400 million. Comparatively, Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 had one-day sell-through totals of $360 million and $310 million, respectively.
Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia believes MW3 could generate between $700 and $750 million during the first week, as compared with Black Ops' $650 million in sales during its first 5 days.
"We believe the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is the biggest entertainment launch of all time in any medium, and we achieved this record with sales from only two territories," said Bobby Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard, Inc.
"Call of Duty is more than a game. It's become a major part of the pop cultural landscape. It is a game that core enthusiasts love, but that also consistently draws new people into the medium. It is the most intense, adrenaline pumping entertainment experience anywhere," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO, Activision Publishing.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- What's Hot? 04/18/14Friday, April 18, 2014
- Even Casual Marijuana Use Can Alter Young BrainsThursday, April 17, 2014
- Video Games Do Not Negatively Impact Teen Academic PerformanceWednesday, April 16, 2014
- For Many Teens Formal Sex Education Is Too LateTuesday, April 15, 2014
- 2014 Prom Spending Down But Still CostlyMonday, April 14, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content