The final Harry Potter movie shattered the record for an opening weekend at the North American box office, industry trackers said.
Muggles – non-magical people – of all ages handed over a collective $169.2 million as they flocked to see “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,” the eighth and final film about the boy wizard.
The haul is $11 million more the previous opening weekend record of $158-million set in 2008 by the Batman film “The Dark Knight.”
“DH-2” had already raked in a record $92.1 million in opening day sales, smashing the previous record held by “The Twilight Saga: New Moon,” which took $72.7 million in 2009.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2018Tuesday, August 26, 2014
- Teens Who Skimp on Sleep Face Later Obesity RiskMonday, August 25, 2014
- What's Hot? 08/22/14Friday, August 22, 2014
- Brain Imaging Shows Differences in Risk Taking TeensThursday, August 21, 2014
- Physically Neglected Boys Are More Likely To Become Violent AdolescentsWednesday, August 20, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content