On smartphones, Facebook-owned Instagram proved more popular than its social-networking rival and would-be acquirer Twitter, according to new data published by analytics firm Nielsen.
The firm ranked Instagram seventh on its Top 10 list of smartphone apps and counted an average monthly audience of roughly 32 million people. Instagram also proved to be the fastest-growing app of the year, growing its audience 66 percent year-over-year.
Twitter, meanwhile, came in tenth place with a monthly audience of 30.8 million people, on average.
Nielsen's data reflects the average monthly unique users, ages 18 and up, for apps on iOS and Android, as measured between January and October 2013.
The official user numbers -- Instagram has 150 million active users; Twitter has an audience of more than 230 million people -- suggest that Twitter has a comfortable lead over Instagram.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- Teen Perceptions of Sexual Activity More Influential Than Peer PressureMonday, September 29, 2014
- What's Hot? 09/26/14Friday, September 26, 2014
- The Younger the Age of First Drink, the Higher the Odds for Problem Drinking LaterThursday, September 25, 2014
- Girls Do Better Than Boys in All School SubjectsWednesday, September 24, 2014
- Bullying by Siblings Increases Risk for DepressionTuesday, September 23, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content