A judge in Corpus Christi, Texas had some harsh words for a mother charged with spanking her own child before sentencing her to probation.
"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."
Rosalina Gonzales had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of injury to a child for what prosecutors had described as a "pretty simple, straightforward spanking case." They noted she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks.
As part of the plea deal, Gonzales will serve five years probation, during which time she'll have to take parenting classes, follow CPS guidelines, and make a $50 payment to the Children's Advocacy Center.
She was arrested back in December after the child's paternal grandmother noticed red marks on the child's rear end. The grandmother took the girl, who was two years-old at the time, to the hospital to be checked out.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- Another Study Finds Teens Still SextingMonday, October 20, 2014
- What's Hot? 10/17/14Friday, October 17, 2014
- Authoritarian Mothers Linked to Increased Teen Alcohol UseThursday, October 16, 2014
- More Than 80% of Children Lie About Their Age to Use Social Media SitesWednesday, October 15, 2014
- Physical Activity Does Not Reduce Depression in TeensTuesday, October 14, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content