A judge in Corpus Christi, Texas had some harsh words for a mother charged with spanking her own child before sentencing her to probation.
"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."
Rosalina Gonzales had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of injury to a child for what prosecutors had described as a "pretty simple, straightforward spanking case." They noted she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks.
As part of the plea deal, Gonzales will serve five years probation, during which time she'll have to take parenting classes, follow CPS guidelines, and make a $50 payment to the Children's Advocacy Center.
She was arrested back in December after the child's paternal grandmother noticed red marks on the child's rear end. The grandmother took the girl, who was two years-old at the time, to the hospital to be checked out.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- What's Hot? 08/22/14Friday, August 22, 2014
- Brain Imaging Shows Differences in Risk Taking TeensThursday, August 21, 2014
- Physically Neglected Boys Are More Likely To Become Violent AdolescentsWednesday, August 20, 2014
- Cost of Raising a Child Born in 2013 Nears $250KTuesday, August 19, 2014
- Fewer Children Being Born Outside Of Marriage Monday, August 18, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content