Teenagers are fickle, but one thing never seems to change. They love Apple products.
More than one-third plan on buying an iPhone in the next six months, and 20% are planning to buy a tablet -- which probably means iPad.
Among MP3 players and online music services, the iPod and iTunes are the only ones that matter.
That's according to Piper Jaffray's latest bi-annual survey of high school students, now in its 21st year.
This time, the firm asked 4,500 kids about their interest in Apple products and digital music.
Here are some of the highlights:
• 17% already own an iPhone, and 37% plan on buying one in the next 6 months.
• 22% either own a tablet or have one in their house, and 20% of them plan to buy one in the next 6 months.
• Only 80% now own an MP3 player -- down from 90% last fall. More teens are listening to music on their cell phone (53% versus 50% last fall), so that may account for some of the drop. Or maybe MP3 players are no longer cool.
• Of the teens who own MP3 players, 86% of them have an iPod.
• Of the teens who download music, iTunes has 95% market share.
Source: Business Insider
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
About Jim Liebelt
Jim is Senior Writer, Editor and Researcher for the HomeWord Center for Youth and Family at Azusa Pacific University. Jim has over 25 years of experience as a youth and family ministry specialist, and has been on the HomeWord staff since 1998. He has served over the years as a pastor, author, youth ministry trainer, adjunct college instructor and speaker. Jim’s culture blog and parenting articles appear on HomeWord.com. Jim is a contributing author of culture and parenting articles to Crosswalk.com. Jim and his wife Jenny live in Olympia, WA.
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- Sleep-Deprived Teens Cause CrashesTuesday, May 21, 2013
- Most Parents Not Aware Teen Is Using "Study Drugs"Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- What's Hot? 5/17/13Friday, May 17, 2013
- Depression in Teen Girls Linked to Absent Fathers in Early ChildhoodThursday, May 16, 2013
- Chronic Fatigue in Teens May Be Sign of DepressionWednesday, May 15, 2013
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content