A battle is brewing over the marital status of two Sesame Street characters. Lair Scott, who gives his address as Oak Park, Ill., has started an online campaign to have Bert and Ernie marry. Scott wants the “Sesame Street” muppets to tie the knot as a way to show LGBT children “they are beautiful” and so far his petition has garnered more than 7,000 signatures.
One problem: the group behind the characters says that Bert and Ernie are just friends.
In a statement posted on Facebook, Sesame Workshop, the non-profit organization behind the production of the show, wrote, “Bert and Ernie are best friends. They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves.Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets™ do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation.”
Source: Wall Street Journal
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- Gameplay Broadcasting May Be the New Big Thing in Streaming EntertainmentTuesday, September 16, 2014
- Television Audience Is Getting OlderMonday, September 15, 2014
- What's Hot? 09/12/14Friday, September 12, 2014
- Teens Who Smoke Marijuana Daily Face Increased RisksThursday, September 11, 2014
- Only One in Three Millennials Have A Credit CardWednesday, September 10, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content