What words could we use to describe God's grace toward sinners like us? Amazing? Yes. Extravagant? For sure. Astonishing? Absolutely!
The apostle Paul was a man who never got over the grace of God...and neither should we. As the Holy Spirit guided him along, he edified the believers at Ephesus by expounding on "the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus" (Eph 2:7). I want to do the same in today's post.
Recently, I spent some time thinking about all that God accomplishes in an instant, at the moment of conversion, and what He continues to work to its ultimate completion in the day we see Him in glory (Phil 1:6). The result was a list of 75 amazing works of God. With a list that long, and interconnected, categorizing them into smaller chunks was quite a challenge. But I finally had to decide on a manner of grouping, inadequate as it may be.
Take time to meditate on these astonishing realities, personally, or in your small group. I hope this meditation on the riches of God's grace and kindness in Christ will stir our hearts toward worship and will encourage our spiritual growth.
DIVINE WORKS & GIFTS
- 1. We are born again by the Holy Spirit and the Word of God (John 3:1-8; 1 Peter 1:23).
- 2. We receive the ability to repent and believe in Jesus Christ, confessing Him as Lord (2 Tim 2:25; Rom 10:9-10).
- 3. We are saved by grace, which was given before time began (2 Tim 1:9; 2 Thess 2:13).
- 4. We receive the gift of eternal life (John 3:16; Rom 6:23; 1 John 5:11-13).
- 5. We enter the abundant life found only in Jesus (John 10:10).
- 6. We receive the gift of Christ’s righteousness by faith (Rom 3:21-22; 5:17; 10:10; 2 Cor 5:21).
- 7. We receive abundance of grace (Rom 5:17).
- 8. We are recipients of the call of the Holy Spirit by means of the gospel (1 Cor 1:9, 24).
- 9. We are forgiven all of our sins (Eph 1:7; Col 1:14; 2:13; Rev 1:5).
- 10. We receive the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 2:12; 12:13).
- 11. We receive the capacity to understand the mind of Christ by means of the Holy Spirit and the Scriptures (1 Cor 2:13-16).
- 12. We are baptized—placed into—the body of Christ by the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 12:13).
- 13. We receive spiritual giftedness to serve and edify the church (Rom 12:6-8; 1 Cor 12:11; 1 Peter 4:10).
- 14. We obtain direct access to God’s throne of grace (Heb 4:15-16).
- 15. We are justified by God through faith in Jesus Christ (Rom 5:16).
- 16. We receive the promise of never being forsaken (Heb 13:5).
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Paul Tautges
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content