Freedom from Pornography (for Men)
Paul TautgesPaul Tautges serves as senior pastor at Cornerstone Community Church in Mayfield Heights, Ohio, having previously pastored for 22 years in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Paul has authored eight books including Counseling One Another, Brass Heavens, and Comfort the Grieving, and contributed chapters to two volumes produced by the Biblical Counseling Coalition. He is also the consulting editor of the LifeLine Mini-Book series from Shepherd Press. Paul is a Fellow with ACBC (Association of Certified Biblical Counselors). He and his wife, Karen, are the parents of ten children (three married), and have two grandchildren. Paul enjoys writing as a means of cultivating discipleship among believers and, therefore, blogs regularly at Counseling One Another.
- 2014 Jul 04
Earlier this week, Brian Croft’s excellent little book HELP! He’s Struggling with Pornography was released in eBook format as part of Shepherd Press’ new line, LifeLine mini-books. In the “Personal Application Projects” portion of the mini-book, Croft gives specific ways men struggling with lust must Put Off Sin (lies) and Put On Christ (truths).
PUT OFF SIN: Common Lies Men Believe in Times of Temptation
- “I will be the only one affected by this action. It doesn’t directly affect anyone else.”
- “I will only do it this one time.
- “Since my wife doesn’t satisfy me in this way, I need to satisfy myself.”
- “I’ll just browse on the computer and see what happens.”
- “No one will ever find out.”
- “I’m going to do it anyway, so let me just get it over with.”
- “It’s really not that big a deal.”
- “God is going to forgive me anyway.”
- “I can use a little break or relief.”
- “There might be something new I’ll be missing out on or haven’t seen yet.”
PUT ON CHRIST: Truths Men Must Believe in Times of Temptation
- “My sin is against a holy God and it took the death of Christ to pay for it.” Ps. 51: 4; Rom. 5: 8– 10
- “Christ died so that I may live a life free from all sin and pursue holiness.” Rom. 6: 1; Eph. 5: 3; James 2: 10.
- “Sexual pleasure must come through my wife only.” Prov. 5: 19.
- “My marriage is not about me; it is about loving my wife as Christ loves the church.” 1 Cor. 7; Eph. 5: 25.
- “Singleness is not about me; it is about glorifying God in my body.” 1 Thes. 4: 3– 5.
- “Sin cannot bring lasting pleasure; Christ brings true and lasting pleasure.” Heb 11: 24– 26
- “Flirting with sin leads to destruction; following Christ leads to life.” Prov. 5: 8; Prov. 7: 21– 23; 1 Cor. 6: 18
- “It is more satisfying to please my all-knowing Father than to secretly indulge my sin.” Num. 32: 23; Ps. 90: 8; Prov. 5: 21; Heb. 13: 4; Heb. 4: 12– 13.
- “Christ died and has given me his Spirit to resist all temptation.” Ezek. 36: 24– 32; 1 Cor. 10: 13; 1 Tim. 6: 11– 12; 2 Tim. 2: 22.
- “It took the death of the Son of God to free me of this sin.” Rom. 5: 8– 10.