Israel-Gaza Violence Continues as Citizens Flee
Carrie DedrickReligious persecution, missions, Christianity around the world
- 2014 Jul 14
The Israel-Gaza conflict has now continued for one week. Thousands of people have fled the region in pursuit of safety as rocket fire comes from both sides.
According to BBC, 172 people have been killed in Gaza and over 1,200 were wounded; the UN estimates about three-quarters of Gaza deaths have been civilians. At the same time, Israel reports 1,000 rockets have been launched from Gaza; so far no Israelis have died from the attacks, though three sustained serious injuries.
Israel is reported to be targeting “terror sites,” as well as the homes of senior militants. But Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) says that they are careful to avoid striking civilians and the UN’s report was biased.
"We do not wish to harm civilians in Gaza, but these civilians must know that remaining in close proximity to Hamas terrorists and infrastructures is extremely unsafe," the IDF said in a statement.
Israel warned Gaza of the impending ground invasion via leaflets distributed to the town of Beit Lahiya. In response, 17,000 Palestinians sought refuge from the air raids, though finding is shelter is difficult amidst the fighting.
Gaza citizen Sawla el Tibi said"[There is] no safety at all to walk on the street...All of Gaza Strip is burning right now.”
Palestinian Authority envoy in the UK Manuel Hassassian mimicked the statement. "If they leave their homes, they will be hit on the street,” he said.
A group of Arab foreign ministers, as well as German foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier are set to meet Monday to negotiate a ceasefire.
Publication date: July 14, 2014