Syria: Ceasefire Broken, New Bombing Campaign Targets Civil Defense Centers
Veronica NeffingerReligious persecution, missions, Christianity around the world
- 2016 Sep 23
Renewed bombing attacks began overnight in Syria, officially breaking a short-lived ceasefire, and targeting Syria’s Civil Defense group.
NBC News reports that the bombing campaign killed as many as 30 people and at least one member of the Syria Civil Defense service known as the White Helmets.
White Helmets members say they and their facilities have been especially targeted in the bomb attacks which took place in Syria’s rebel-held districts of Aleppo, according to Stream.org.
The White Helmets are already short on fuel and other supplies, and the bombing attacks only exacerbated the situation. The teams searched for hours on Thursday to rescue civilians who were buried under the rubble from the blasts.
"What's happening now is annihilation," Ammar al Selmo, the head of the service in Aleppo, told Reuters.
Secretary of State John Kerry met with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov to discuss a way forward after the ceasefire failed.
"The ball is in very much in the Russians' court to come back to us with an idea or some ideas that are serious," a senior official told reporters.
As ChristianHeadlines.com previously reported, thousands of citizens remain trapped in Aleppo while basic necessities are running out.
Publication date: September 23, 2016