Since my previous post on young preachers, some have asked what kind of resources are available for critiquing someone's preaching. The best critiques are just informal, "Hey, here's what I think" kind of dialogue with more mature, more experienced men.
Some of those kinds of folk, though, have asked what kind of form we use here. In my Christian Preaching class at Southern Seminary, we use a Preaching Review Form for the students in the room to evaluate their fellow preachers.
The form is designed for three purposes:
- To assess the preacher and the sermon on several key issues
- To provide specific thoughts on strengths and weaknesses of the preaching event
- To leave the preacher with tangible feedback that can later be reflected on after they preach
Preaching review forms can end up being as self-determining as a pre-fab spiritual gifts inventory, unless there are people in your life who love you enough that they are willing to be frank, and unless you are humble enough to receive correction.
But I have found that a preaching review form like this one can be helpful. I appreciate the great sermon review form that Sojourn Community Church in Louisville uses, and we integrated some of what they do into this one.
Preaching is expositional exorcism. If the young preacher wants to sharpen his sword for this spiritual battle, using a preaching review form might help.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
About Russell Moore
Russell Moore is President of the Southern Baptist Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission. He formerly served as Dean of the School of Theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and executive director of the Carl F. H. Henry Institute for Evangelical Engagement. Dr. Moore is the author of The Kingdom of Christ: The New Evangelical Perspective (Crossway, 2004) and Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches (Crossway, May 2009).
Recently by Russell Moore
- Why Calvinists and Arminians Can Unite for Religious LibertyTuesday, June 11, 2013
- Don Draper Meets Abraham KuyperMonday, June 03, 2013
- Is Your Church Ready for the Marriage Revolution?Wednesday, May 29, 2013
- Remember the Infertile TooTuesday, May 14, 2013
- Do You Want to Be a Burden to Your Children?Monday, May 06, 2013
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content