Surprise, surprise. Ang Lee's gay cowboy drama leads the Oscars this year with 8 nominations. Surprisingly absent from the best picture category, 'Walk the Line,' the acclaimed Johnny Cash biography.
Gay and "transgender" Americans will also approve the recognition of 'Capote' (best picture, best actor, best supporting actress) the biography of homosexual journalist Truman Capote, and 'Transamerica' (best actress) the story of "[A] pre-operative male-to-female transsexual takes an unexpected journey when she learns that she fathered a son, now a teenage runaway hustling on the streets of New York" according to IMDB.
Interestingly, as CNN notes, none of the three films nominated for best animated feature were computer animated. Perhaps a good story still trumps amazing special effects.
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Stephen McGarvey
- Israel Trip Day 1: Mediterranean SeaWednesday, March 18, 2009
- Israel Trip Day 1: Tel AvivWednesday, March 18, 2009
- Headed to Canaan’s LandSunday, March 15, 2009
- "Fireproof" Shouldn't be Critic ProofThursday, October 09, 2008
- What Do You Think? Can a Woman be a Good Mother AND a Good VP at the Same Time? Is it Wrong to Try?Monday, September 01, 2008
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content