Important Lessons For Parents To Learn About Themselves? - Answers for Church Members - September 15
What are some important lessons for parents to learn about themselves?
- To be a faithful steward of your children you must abide in Christ (John 15:5).
- Trickle-down theory: Mom’s daily devotions naturally trickle down to encouragement and instruction in the Lord for the children.
- Not listening to your children causes you to misjudge them (James 1:19-20).
- Our task list is not as important as our children’s thought life.
- Preach the gospel of grace, not self-discipline.
- Being parented is defining; parenting is refining.
- You will parent the way you were parented unless you think things through biblically.
- Parents should become “smaller” as their children become bigger. In other words, a parent should become more transparent in confessing their sin and in sharing past struggles as children mature. Your children should hear more about your fight for faith as they grow older. Don’t be a plastic Christian!
- Ordinary times make for extraordinary memories.
- To have children is to need margin in your life.
- A disreputable life will undermine the gospel. An exemplary life will commend it.
For more great resources from Mark Dever and 9Marks Ministries, visit www.9marks.org