The Old Testament Scriptures Are Christ-Centered
I want to show you how Centered the Scriptures are upon Christ. Each book of the Bible reveal some truths about our beautiful Lord Jesus. And, there is one book (Revelation) that has as its theme and central purpose to unveil and reveal JESUS CHRIST THE LORD.
To see the central theme of Christ in all the Scriptures look at these verses:
Revelation 19:10, John 5:39 and Luke 24:27.
Because the Bible is Divine, and speaks of Christ in every book, He is our Source of:
I. SANCTIFYING TRUTH: John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. (KJV)
II. PERSONAL HAPPINESS: Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. (KJV)
III. SPIRITUAL GROWTH: 1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: (KJV)
IV. DIVINE POWER: Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (KJV)
V. SUPERNATURAL GUIDANCE: Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (KJV)
VI. ABSOLUTE COMFORT: Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. (KJV)
VII. BIBLICAL MATURITY (Completeness): 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (KJV)
VIII. DAILY VICTORY: Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (KJV)
A SURVEY OF CHRIST
IN ALL THE SCRIPTURES
1. In GENESIS He is Creating the Universe. The Scriptures are the only reliable source of information on the origin and purpose of: universe, man, sin, nations, covenant and curse. Key Word = GENERATIONS
2. In EXODUS He is Delivering His People. He is the Way out: of
3. In LEVITICUS He opens the Approach to a Holy God, Who is present with His people[1:3 before the Lord 60x in book]; Who demands holiness in His people [11:44; 19:2; 20:7]. Key Word = HOLINESS
4. In NUMBERS He is the Faithful One Dealing with His Unfaithful People. Key Word = CHASTENING
5. In DEUTERONOMY He is Seeking Loyalty from His chosen people as their PROMISE KEEPER. Key Word = COVENANT.
6. In JOSHUA He is Commander of the Lord’s Army, Leading His People in Conquest. Key Idea = OBEDIENCE.
7. In JUDGES He is Chastening His wayward people who follow seven specific sin-salvation cycles though this book. Key Idea = DISOBEDIENCE
8. In RUTH He is Kinsman to His needy people. Key Word = LOYALTY
9. In I SAMUEL - II CHRONICLES He is the Perfect King. IN Samuel God Seeks for a Man; In Kings God Sees All; in Chronicles God Saves, Preserves, Rewards His Own. Key Words = EYES OF THE LORD .
10. In EZRA He is our Peg in the
11. In NEHEMIAH He is our Sure Foundation. Key Word = RESTORING.
12. In ESTHER He is our Unseen Defender. Key Word = PROTECTING.
13. In JOB He is our Sure Redeemer. This book of the five Wisdom books gives a Theology of SUFFERING.
14. In PSALMS He is our Shepherd. This book of the five Wisdom books gives a Theology of WORSHIP.
15. In PROVERBS He is Wisdom Incarnate. This book of the five Wisdom books gives a Theology of LIVING
16. In ECCLESIASTES He is the only hope of contentment. This book of the five Wisdom books gives a Theology of LIFE.
17. In SONG OF SOLOMON He is our Beloved. This book of the five Wisdom books gives a Theology of LOVING.
18. In ISAIAH He is the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God and Prince of Peace. Key Word = HOPE.
19. In JEREMIAH He weeps over His wayward people Key Word = JUDGMENT.
20. In LAMENTATIONS He offers Mercies new every morning, even in hopeless situations Key Word = FAITHFUL.
21. In EZEKIEL He is the Holiness to our God. Key Word = GLORY God’s Glory departs in 11:23 and returns in 43:2.
22. In DANIEL He is the Most High Who Reigns. Key Word = RULE
23. In HOSEA He is our Pure and Patient Husband. Key Word = FORGIVING
24. In JOEL He restores our locust years. Key Idea = DAY OF THE LORD
25. In AMOS He turns the darkness to morning. Key Idea = INESCAPABLE JUDGMENT
26. In OBADIAH He is our confidence. Key Idea = FOOLISH PRIDE
27. In JONAH He is the loving God who prepares our way [1:4, 17; 2:10; 4:6-8] and gives second chances Key Idea = APPOINTMENTS OF GOD.
28. In MICAH He is the one from Everlasting who demands we walk humbly [6:8], and pardons us [7:18-19]. Key Idea = DIVINE REQUIREMENTS
29. In NAHUM He judges those who forget Him [3:5]. Key Word = DISASTER
30. In HABAKKUK He is the One we cling to [3:16-19], by faith [2:4]. Key Word = HOPE
31. In ZEPHANIAH He is calling for National repentance [2:2-3]. Key Word = REVIVAL
32. In HAGGAI He is calling for personal rededication [1:5,7]. Key Word = PRIORITIES
33. In ZECHARIAH He is Reminding of His Future Plans [12:10] Key Word = RETURN
34. In MALACHI He is calling for Personal Repentance [1:2,6,7,13] Key Word = EXAMINATION
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.