How to Pray for Purity
Praying for Their Purity
Did you know what Jesus prayed for you and me as He walked towards Gethsemane, with His eyes lifted toward His Father in Heaven? He was praying for our sanctification. Jesus was praying that the Word of God, through the Spirit of God, would transform the daily lives of the Children of God. That’s us folks. Listen to His prayer -
John 17:17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
Jesus prayed for holy living in us who would live in the future. He knew how bad it would be. Jesus spoke of terrible days ahead for this world. He sent His beloved John on a journey ahead in time to see that Tribulation. The character of that world is stated in Revelation as dark and sinful. The entire world is given over to materialism, drugs, murders and interestingly fornications.
This is the world that is coming. This is the world that is forming before our eyes, in the daily news and as we speak. It is a world totally given over to five clear areas of sin.
Revelation 9:20-21 But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk. 21 And they did not repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.
Peter warned the early saints to flee and forsake the lust inducing activities that war against our souls. Listen to these pleas from the heart of the Apostle Peter to his beloved fellow believers:
1 Peter 1:14-15 As obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,
1 Peter 2:11 Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul,
Parents this is perhaps the most difficult of all the areas to pray about. Purity of heart is usually reflected by modesty of life. And modesty is most often reflected in our clothing. Praying for purity in our children involves their minds, and also involves their clothing. Are you praying for purity in your children? Pray for godliness in mind and body.
We saw last time that our position when we pray, the place or time or circumstance is not the issue of prayer. Prayer is to be for us a total way of life – an open communication with God which goes on all the time which unleashes the most powerful tool to raising, nurturing, and launching children that please the Lord is learning how to pray for our children.
We Must Pray that Our Children Wear Their True Clothing—Our Dress is to Reflect Jesus
Romans 13:13-14 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof. (KJV)
First what might we teach our children about dress that reflects Jesus? Well to start, we get some clues. Whenever we see someone in heaven or coming from the presence of God what do they look like? What characterizes them?
· LOOK WHAT GOD EXPECTS US TO WEAR - THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD Isaiah 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels. (KJV)
· LOOK WHAT GOD’S SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVES WEAR Mark 16:5 And entering into the sepulcher, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted. (KJV)
· LOOK WHAT GOD OFFERS US TO WEAR - CHRIST Romans 13:12-14 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof. (KJV)
· LOOK WHAT JESUS WEARS Revelation 1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. (KJV)
· LOOK WHAT WE ARE GOING TO WEAR Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; (KJV)
What do the Scriptures present as the wardrobe we should wear? Clothes that reflect three timeless principles:
· We need to pray that our children understand that in the Garden of Eden God introduces clothing to be a COVERING FOR HIS CREATURES (remember God invented clothing.).
o Before the fall no shame Genesis 2:25 The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame. (NIV)
o After the fall shame and a desire to be covered Genesis 3:7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. (NIV)
o Because of the fallen, lustful human heart God said don’t allow yourself by a lack of modesty to become a wicked picture in an evil person’s heart! 2 Peter 2:14 With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed -- an accursed brood! (NIV)
· We need to pray that our children understand that in the New Testament God expects clothing to be a reflection of HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS AND OUR MODESTY AS HIS TEMPLE! 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. (KJV) Because of the Fall we must be on guard at all times. The Flesh wants to rise up.
o Beware of the pride of life: CLOTHING MUST NOT BE OSTENTATIOUS. Luke 20:46 "Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. (NIV)
o Beware of the lusts of the flesh: CLOTHING MUST NOT BE SENSUSOUS. 1 Timothy 2:9 I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, (NIV);
To Continue this message in its entirety please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.discoverthebook.org/sermons_read.asp?id=1257