“I am old, Gandalf. I don’t look it, but I am beginning to feel it in my heart of hearts. Well-preserved indeed! Why, I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread. That can’t be right. I need a change, or something.” – Bilbo Baggins in The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
A daughter loves it when her daddy reminds her of her princess status. With so many voices telling her otherwise, it sounds so good coming from him. She grins. She hugs. She twirls once more.
Sometimes, we need a reminder of our identity in Christ.
- We have died to our old self. We are an entirely new child of God.
- His Spirit lives inside us. His Spirit walks with us and gifts us the wisdom of God.
- Jesus shows Himself through us every day – in relationships and love.
As believers, we don’t live by our own strength. We live by the strength of God. We can rest in Him, dance with Him, find joy in Him because our life is His. And miraculously, His life is ours.
When we start to feel weary or exhausted, we need a reminder. Hey, you’re trying to live by the flesh again.
…But the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:8-9, ESV)
Weariness comes from working in the flesh. Life comes from the Spirit.
If you’re feeling exhausted, ask yourself a few questions:
- Are you serving by your own strength or His?
- Are you serving from love or obligation?
- Are you afraid to let go of something because you don’t know what to do if it’s gone?
Ask God to remind you of your identity. Ask Him to defeat those desires of your flesh. Dance before your Daddy and feel fully alive once more.
Giver of Eternal Life, I can hardly drag my feet through this life. In the exhaustion of my flesh, life sounds like a prison. I surrender to the Spirit. May the Spirit wage war against my flesh and lead me into a place of freedom. Strengthen my weakness. Nourish my soul. Then pour me out before others so they can be free too. Amen.
Listen to Pete, Jill & Stuart Briscoe on the Telling the Truth broadcast at OnePlace.com
Stand Strong in These Uncertain Times!
More than ever, people today are searching for hope, purpose, and significance. And in 2014, Stuart, Jill, and Pete addressed many of these matters head-on in some very popular messages. We want to send 6 of them to you in our Best of 2014 series.
Through the Best of 2014,you’ll learn:
• What to do when your dreams are broken
• Where to find counsel for your soul
• How to win in your marriage
• How to be confident you’re in God’s favor
• Why you can trust the Bible
• How to deal with discouragement
This 6-message series is our special Christmas gift to thank you for your donation below to help Telling the Truth reach our $530,000 year-end goal.
So thank you for giving, knowing your donation will be doubled by a year-end Matching Grant. Together, we’ll help even more people experience Life in 2015!