When I was a freshman at U.T., I began to study my Bible. As I did, I fell in love with the stories of David. He was an amazing person - strong, handsome, courageous, wise, tough and tender. While he possessed so many great attributes, the one thing that really set him apart was his heart. He is the only one in the Bible described as "a man after God's own heart."
GOD LOOKS AT THE HEART
God sees past the outward appearance. He sees down into the heart. The reason He chose David to lead His people was because of David's heart. What was his heart like?
1. He had a passionate heart. David loved God sincerely and supremely. He did not play at his worship. He really had a desire in his heart to walk with God and please God. His heart was completely His. (Psalm 103)
2. He had a humble heart. David never lost sight of the fact that he was nothing and God was everything. He never started believing his own press clippings. He knew all his success came from God. (2 Samuel 7:18)
3. He had a dependent heart. David depended on God, not himself. He sought God early and often throughout the day. (Psalm 63)
4. He had a grateful heart. David gave praise and thanks to God regardless of His circumstances. He knew God was worthy of praise even if everything seemed to be falling apart around him. (Psalm 34)
5. He had a repentant heart. When He sinned, He came to God with genuine repentance and sought the Lord's forgiveness. (Psalm 51)
HOW ABOUT YOUR HEART?
How does your heart look to God? What does He see when He looks into you? Are you moving in the right direction in these all-important heart areas? Do you need some spiritual surgery?
God wants YOU to be a person after His own heart. In order for this to happen, you must confess any sins and ask Him to soften you and change you on the inside. Spend time with the Lord each day. Talk to Him openly and honestly from your heart. Share your burdens with Him, seek His face and obey Him.
Jesus wants to be your closest friend on the planet. His hand is extended to you. Will you take it?
Jeff Schreve is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Church in Texarkana, Texas. He and his wife Debbie have been married for over 20 years and are blessed with three wonderful girls. Jeff began From His Heart Ministries, a radio and television ministry, in January of 2005. This ministry is completely listener/viewer supported. It continues only through the faithful and generous gifts of people like you. Pastor Jeff takes no salary from this ministry. All gifts go to further the broadcast.