May 19, 2014
Praying Scripture Over Children
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth (3 John 1:4, NIV).
Friend to Friend
Proverbs 31 introduces us to the mother whose children rise up and call her blessed. She is a “wife of noble character” (NIV), “an excellent wife” (NAS) and “a capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman” (AMP).
The actual Hebrew word for excellent or virtuous is chayil and is sometimes interpreted as “virtuous, boldly courageous, powerful, mighty warrior.” The mother whose children rise up and call her blessed is a warrior who battles in prayer for the hearts, minds, and souls of her children. She prays a hedge of protection around them and stands in the gap for them. She meets the enemy head-on, dressed in the armor of God with the sword of the spirit (the Word of God) drawn and ready for action. We may never know the many times that the enemy’s schemes against our children were thwarted by the power of our prayers.
As a mother, grandmother, aunt, or friend, you may feel that your burden for a child seems more than you can bear. Peter tells us to “cast all your cares upon Him, because He cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).
When my son was young, I created a 4 x 6 laminated card with prayers that were my defense against the enemy’s attack. You, too, can pray that your children will:
- Know Christ as Savior early in life. (Psalm 63:1, 2 Timothy 3:15)
- Have a hatred for sin. (Psalm 97:10)
- Be caught when guilty. (Psalm 119:71) (My son really wanted me to remove this one.)
- Be protected from the evil one in each area of his life: spiritual, emotional, and physical. (John 17:15)
- Have a responsible attitude in all his interpersonal relationships. (Daniel 6:3)
- Respect those in authority over him. (Romans 13:1)
- Desire the right kind of friends and be protected from the wrong friends. (Proverbs 1:10-11)
- Be kept from the wrong mate and saved for the right one. (2 Corinthians 6:14-17)
- Be kept pure until marriage (as well as the one he marries). (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)
- Learn to totally submit to God and actively resist Satan in all things. (James 4:7)
- Be single-hearted, willing to be sold out to Jesus Christ.(Romans 12:1-2)
- Be hedged in so he cannot find his way to wrong people or wrong places and that the wrong people cannot find their way to him. (Hosea 2:6)
A mother wears many hats during the years of raising her children. And while we take off those hats one-by-one as they grow and mature, there is one that will always remain—the hat of a mother who prays.
Dear God, I agree with John who wrote, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” That is my prayer today…that my child will walk in Your truth.
In Jesus’ Name,
Now It’s Your Turn
Now it is your turn to pray. Go back to the verses listed above and pray them over your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, or children of your closest friends.
More from the Girlfriends
If you are a mom who needs some encouragement today, you’ll want to read my book, Being a Great Mom-Raising Great Kids. You’ll laugh. You’ll cry. And you will know that you have one of the most important jobs on earth! Also, on my website I have created laminated cards with Scripture prayers for husbands, children, and grandchildren. Click here to learn more. And if you’re a wife, come and join us at Facebook.com/ThePrayingWivesClub.
Click here to find out more about
how to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Girlfriends in God
P.O. Box 1311
Huntersville, NC 28070
Click here to learn more about hosting a Girlfriends in God conference in your area or having one of the GiGs speak at your next women's event.