How can you power through the troubling times?
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you (1 Peter 5:7).
I have yet to meet a person who does not worry. It’s part of our DNA. Some people are more prone to it than others. It’s just a fact of life; everyone worries to some degree or another.
Jesus understands this.
He doesn’t get mad at us when we worry.
But he does let us know that we don’t have to worry. This was one of his main points in the Sermon on the Mount. Here is what he said; “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear” (Matthew 6:25). Then he added, “don’t worry about tomorrow” (verse 34).
“Worry” is an interesting word in the Greek language. It refers to a care or anxiety that is troubling. This kind of worry, according to The Complete Word Study Dictionary, “brings disruption to the personality and the mind.”
Life can be very troubling at times to all of us. This trouble can wreck us on the inside and even shut us down. When this has happened to me, I’ve felt trapped, almost functionally paralyzed. It’s no wonder Jesus tells us not to worry.
But what’s the cure. How can we power through the troubling times? How can we turn worry into peace? Here are three important truths that have helped me.
• Cast your cares upon Jesus. Both Peter and Paul met with troubles of every kind. Worry could have consumed both of them, but they learned to cast their cares upon the Lord. They both knew the Lord cared for them (1 Peter 5:7), and that his peace would guard their hearts and minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6, 7).
• Give thanks. Paul encourages us to give thanks in all things and even equates this as God’s will. I admit that seems hard to do, especially in the most trying of times. But even in those times…
- Jesus is actively working all things together for your good (Romans 8:28).
- Jesus is meeting all your needs according to his riches in glory (Philippians 4:19).
- Jesus’ love never fails (1 Corinthians 13:7).
• Seek the mind of Christ. God’s Spirit lives in you. Trust him to give you wisdom for the situation. He will not let you down. His ways will lead to growth and maturity for you.
Yes, we all worry. We get agitated, confused and unsettled about life. When that happens, know that Christ and Christ alone can soothe your heart and ready your mind for the situation. As Proverbs 3:5, 6 states; “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”
This is the cure for worry.
This brand-new CD series powerfully explains your identity in Christ, why it is so important and how it transforms your day-to-day living.
This is truth that convicts the heart that nothing can separate you from the love of God. You will want to share this teaching! Please request your copy when you send your gift to Basic Gospel.
*Physical product available to U.S. and Canada addresses only.