Based on Christ’s Finished Work, God Chooses to Remember Your Sins No More
I am writing to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name (1 John 2:12).
What if you actually believed that God forgave your sins in Christ? What if you took your stand on the new covenant, which includes God’s promise that he remembers your sins no more? What if you genuinely trusted in the blood Christ shed for you once and for all?
The day I fully believed that all my sins were forgiven was the day the love of God broke through to my heart. I knew that I knew that I knew God truly and genuinely loved me.
Here are seven specific actions God takes on your behalf:
- He reminds you of Christ’s death on the cross and the forgiveness you have in him. “I am writing to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name” (1 John 2:12).
- He assures you that you are a child of God. “The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children” (Romans 8:16).
- He shows you the consequences of your sin and then works in you the desire to be reconciled to those you’ve hurt. “Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law” (Romans 13:0).
- He teaches you to say no to sin. “[Grace] teaches us to say ‘No’ to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age (Titus 2:11).
- He encourages you to put off the old and put on the new. “You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:22-24).
- He works all things together for your good. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).
- He continues to complete the work he began in us. “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus’ (Philippians 1:6).
God always shows us favor, even when we sin. He never withdraws that favor, or grace. His grace produces in us God’s desired effect. What God really desires for us is to trust and rest in the shed blood of Jesus.
We experience salvation by grace through faith, and we experience forgiveness by grace through faith as well. By grace, Jesus took your sins on himself. By grace, he suffered the punishment you justly deserved. By grace, he offered his blood to the Father on your behalf. By grace, he forgave your sins.
Now, through faith, thank Jesus for what he has done and rest confidently in the forgiveness that is yours in him.
Marriages and families are under attack. Every day, negative forces work to undermine the relationships that are most important to you. What is a believer to do? How can you build strong, authentic relationships?
Through the power of Jesus Christ, living in and through you. "Christ in you, your hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27).
It's inside out. Join us in this series and learn how Christ works on the inside, giving you all the necessary ingredients to enjoy strong, healthy relationships that defy the odds - relationships that are authentic and real.
Get Inside-Out today! And thank you for helping more men and women hear, believe, and live the Gospel!
*Physical product available to U.S. and Canada addresses only.