Who Are You?
"In everything we have won more than a victory because of Christ who loves us." Romans 8:37 CEV
Thoughts for Today
When we hide behind self-built defenses, we may have a sense that we are in control. We tell ourselves that we're holding our feelings under control. But in reality we are not in control at all—our problems are at the helm. We've pushed away the people who really care about us, the ones who could help us. And we've allowed our problem, our situation, to take control.
Only when we allow the defensive walls to crumble and start living and choosing and acting on the basis of who we are in Christ … and on all the strength and guidance and wisdom God has promised to provide … can we begin to practice true self-control.
Consider this …
Do you know who you are? The Bible makes it clear. Because of Christ …
You are redeemed—paid for at a great price. (Ephesians 1:7)
You are forgiven—clean; your sin has been forgotten. (Psalm 103:12)
You are strong and capable and can do everything through Christ. (Philippians 4:13)
You are a conqueror—an overcomer.(Romans 8:37)
Lord, help me to stop hiding behind my self-built defenses. Help me to see myself as you do because of Christ—redeemed, forgiven, strong, capable, an overcomer. Help me to always remember what a great price was paid at the cross so that I could have this new identity. In Jesus' name …
These thoughts were drawn from …
Insight Group: Discover the Path to Christian Character by Jimmy Ray Lee, D.Min. With its emphasis on developing Christian character it is a powerful group for those who want to be sure to prevent life-controlling problems from developing in their lives, as well as for those who need to overcome a current problem.
- It enhances people's understanding of themselves and others.
- It helps people bond together in meaningful relationships.
- It helps prepare people for more meaningful relationships in subsequent small groups like home groups and Sunday school classes.
- It surfaces people for help who may otherwise never seek help.
- It helps break down the segregation of people in churches, turning "those people" and "our kind of people" into just "us."
- It helps prepare people to minister to others.
- It serves as a powerful evangelistic tool by ministering to people's felt needs and then pointing them to Christ.
Note: This curriculum was written especially for small groups, and we encourage people to use it that way. However, it can also be used effectively as a personal study for individuals or couples.
PO Box 22127 ~ Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421 ~ 423-899-4770
© Living Free 2007. Living Free is a registered trademark. Living Free Every Day devotionals may be reproduced for personal use. When reproduced to share with others, please acknowledge the source as Living Free, Chattanooga, TN. Must have written permission to use in any format to be sold. Permission may be requested by sending e-mail to info@LivingFree.org.