He Is There: His Temple
Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? - 1 Corinthians 6:19 NLT
Thoughts for Today
Not only does God promise his presence, but the believer's body is "the temple of the Holy Spirit." When we become a believer, the Holy Spirit comes to live within us! Jesus taught about the Holy Spirit's role in the believer's life:
- "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you" (John 14:16 NLT). He will help us and never leave us.
- "He will convict the world of its sin" (John 16:8 NLT). He convicts unbelievers of their sin and draws them to Jesus. And he nudges us when we do wrong and helps us get back on track.
- "When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. He will bring me glory by telling you whatever he receives from me (John 16:13-14 NLT). He guides us into truth. He reveals Jesus to us and teaches us what Jesus wants us to do.
- "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8 NLT). The Holy Spirit gives us power to witness.
- "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23 NLT). In this passage, the apostle Paul explains that the Holy Spirit gives us a desire to live right and produce good fruit.
Consider this . . .
The Holy Spirit lives in every believer.
What a comfort. He will never leave us. He will guide us, strengthen us, comfort us, help us know when we go wrong, and give us the desire to produce good fruit. He will give us power to witness.
What a challenge. As the temple of the Holy Spirit, we need to honor him in all we do.
And what an opportunity. Power to witness—with our words and our life. As we follow his leading, unbelievers will see God's light in us and many will be drawn to that light.
Father, thank you that the Holy Spirit lives within me. Help me to be sensitive to his leading and walk in obedience. Help me draw closer to you every day. And help me honor you in all I do. In Jesus' name . . .
These thoughts were drawn from …
Knowing God My Father: Applying the Names of God to My Personal Life by Jimmy Ray Lee, D.Min. This curriculum is designed to help people strengthen their relationship with their heavenly Father by applying His names to their personal life. Along with helping Christians know God better, it can serve as an evangelistic tool by giving a true picture of God to people who may have a distorted view of Him because of an absent or abusive earthly father who did not or does not provide for them. This group can also help men who want to be better fathers. Note: This curriculum was written especially for small groups, and we encourage people to use it that way. However, it can also be used effectively as a personal study for individuals or couples.
PO Box 22127 ~ Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421 ~ 423-899-4770
© Living Free 2007. Living Free is a registered trademark. Living Free Every Day devotionals may be reproduced for personal use. When reproduced to share with others, please acknowledge the source as Living Free, Chattanooga, TN. Must have written permission to use in any format to be sold. Permission may be requested by sending e-mail to info@LivingFree.org.