"In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him" (Ecclesiastes 7:14, ESV)
My husband and I are in a season of adversity right now, and as I took in verse 14 it was helpful because it provided me with a much needed adjustment to my perspective. Here are the lessons this verse conveyed to me:
- We will experience both prosperity and adversity
- God is in control of every circumstance
- We may not fully understand why we're going through our circumstances
- It’s not for us to know the future
- We shouldn't take the future for granted
- Not knowing our future keeps us dependent on God
- We need to live in and for the present day rather than worrying about tomorrow and what "might be."
Powered by 4 is all about engaging God's Word and living it out--in community. So if it's encouragement you want or motivation you need, join the discussion on the P4 Blog--a place to weigh in on the daily scripture as well as share thoughts & questions.