May 23, 2005
Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them; if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use it on our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching…
Last week, we talked about the Spirit-filled life and began talking about the motivational gifts found in the Bible. In the passage above, you can find the gift of ministry mentioned in between prophecy and teaching. Simply identified and defined, the gift of service is the God-given ability to meet the physical, temporal, or spiritual needs of others.
Let me remind you that these spiritual gifts are not natural talents, but they are supernatural gifts given by the Holy Spirit. The word ministry in this text is also the very same word in the Bible translated diakonos, or service. Whatever we do, whether it is preaching, teaching, passing out bulletins or offering plates, printing or typing, turning on microphones, moving sound systems, or setting up chairs, it all ought to be done in the fullness of God’s Holy Spirit to His glory.
Bill Gothard, Bible teacher, once gave some characteristics of the person who has this gift. He or she has:
· The ability to recall specific and special likes and dislikes
· An alertness to detect and meet practical and physical needs
· A motivation to meet needs quickly
· A great physical stamina to stay with it and to meet needs
· A willingness to use personal funds to meet needs and to avoid delay
· A desire to be appreciated
· A desire to complete the job
· An involvement in a variety of services
· A tendency to get greater enjoyment out of seeing short-range goals accomplished as opposed to long-range goals
On the day when the crowns are passed out and the rewards are given in heaven, there will be many people standing at the head of the line who weren’t recognized on earth. And the rest of us will be waiting on them. These servants are the ones today who give a cup of cold water in Jesus’ name and who minister behind the scenes. They are the ones who will be rewarded and blessed on that day!
THANK GOD FOR THOSE WHO ARE SAVED TO SERVE THE LORD AND OTHERS.