The Israelites sin by worshiping an idol-the golden calf.
Sin does not mind rubbing shoulders with righteousness. Even while Moses is on Mount Sinai communing with God, the children of Israel are fashioning a golden idol to worship in His place. Fueled by shamelessness and a short memory, the Israelites rush headlong into one of the most remarkable displays of indiscretion in the Bible.
Beware! Even when you are rubbing shoulders with righteousness, sin can trip you up. Even when you are basking in the light of Mount Sinai, evil may be lurking in the shadows.
As Peter wrote, "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour" (1 Peter 5:8).
· Offer praise to the Lord for His truth and light:
The Lord reigns, He is clothed with majesty;
The Lord is clothed,
He has girded Himself with strength.
Surely the world is established, so that it cannot be moved (Psalms 93:1).
· As you seek to keep your life free from sin, pray this passage of confession to the Lord:
Remember, O Lord, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindnesses,
For they are from of old.
Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions;
According to Your mercy remember me,
For Your goodness' sake, O Lord
· As you confess your sins, voice your affirmation of God's Word:
You are my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
You are the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?
(based on Psalms 27:1).
· As you make your requests known to the Lord, pray for:
· the leading of the Lord in your life,
· Christians worldwide who are persecuted for their faith,
· the concerns of your heart.
· Offer this prayer of worship to God:
May the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen
(1 Peter 5:10-11).