Jacob's son, Joseph, is sold by his brothers.
Feeling loved is one of life's greatest needs. When we do not feel loved, we often will go to great lengths to try to earn love or retaliate against those who keep us from being loved.
Joseph's brothers contemplated murder but instead kidnapped Joseph to get rid of him. His brothers thought of him as a threat -- all because Jacob displayed his preference for Joseph.
Jacob's preferential treatment of Joseph in no way condones the actions of the brothers, but it points out to us as Christians that we should love all men as Christ would. When individuals feel that love, it makes it easier for them to love others in return.
· Praise our Lord that He can enable us to avoid showing partiality, so that we can love as He loves (James 2:1):
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!
Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints!
There is no want to those who fear Him
· Now pray this confession to the Lord to keep your life free from sin and in fellowship with Him:
Against You, You only, have I sinned,
And done this evil in Your sight --
That You may be found just when You speak,
And blameless when You judge (Psalms 51:4).
· Confess any sins that the Holy Spirit brings to your mind. As you agree with God's will, voice your affirmation of His Word:
Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him (1 Corinthians 2:9).
· As you make your requests known to the Lord, pray for:
· wisdom in decision making,
· the needs of your friends,
· your prayer list.
· Now offer this prayer of worship to the Lord:
The Lord bless us and keep us;
The Lord make His face shine upon us,
And be gracious to us;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon us,
And give us peace
(based on Numbers 6:24-26).