1 Kings 5
Solomon forms an alliance with Hiram for help in building the temple.
Known as a fair, just, and righteous man, David builds an excellent reputation with noble neighboring leaders. Hiram and David establish their friendship early in David's reign (2 Samuel 5:11), and 1 Kings 5:1 states: "Hiram had always loved David."
It is perhaps David's reputation that prompts Solomon to write in Proverbs 22:1: "A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches." Each of us must take this Scripture to heart and dedicate ourselves to the development of a spotless reputation by being fair, just, and righteous and by being utterly true to our word.
· Offer praise to the Lord whose reputation we share when we live for Him:
Ah, Lord God! . . . There is nothing too hard for You. You show lovingkindness to thousands, and repay the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them-the Great, the Mighty God, whose name is the Lord of hosts. You are great in counsel and mighty in work, for your eyes are open to all the ways of the sons of men, to give everyone according to his ways and according to the fruit of his doings (Jeremiah 32:17-19).
· Pray this confession to the Lord as you seek to keep your life free from sin:
Who can understand his errors?
Cleanse me from secret faults.
Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins;
Let them not have dominion over me.
Then I shall be blameless,
And I shall be innocent of great transgression
· Confess any sins that the Holy Spirit brings to your mind. Now pray this affirmation to the Lord:
"My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord.
"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts"
· As you make your requests known to the Lord, include:
· greater faithfulness with your time,
· the president and national leaders,
· your activities for the day.
· Finally, offer this closing prayer:
Oh, satisfy us early with Your mercy,
That we may rejoice and be glad all our days!