"Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish." Esther 4:16
An old Chinese pastor used to say, “I find that coincidences stop happening when I stop praying.”The resolution of the book of Esther hinges on a massive coincidence, namely, that at the precise moment Haman expects to kill Mordecai, the king decides to honor Mordecai. Both men reach each situation independently. Take the king, for instance.
- The king just happens to have a sleepless night before Haman will pitch his plan.
- He just happens to read the annals to get to sleep, and just happens to find the part that tells of a good deed of Mordecai.
- He just happens to decide to honor Mordecai the following morning at the very moment Haman comes into the room.
- He just happens to select the first person who walks into his room at that time to carry out his plan.
- That person is Haman, who just happens to be ready to ask for the head of Mordecai.
And through a misunderstanding, the king decides to put Haman to death, as he thinks Haman is molesting Esther when in fact he’s only pleading.
The point is, all this is outside human control. It’s God’s doing. But He worked within Esther’s plan. And so the persecution plan is foiled!
Today I acknowledge that there are no coincidences, just God-incidences!
Help me, Lord, to be faithful in prayer and fasting…and to look for evidences of Your control over my circumstances.
STANDING STRONG THROUGH THE STORM (SSTS) -A daily devotional message by Paul Estabrooks
© 2010 Open Doors International. Used by permission
“When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever.” Proverbs 10:25
Right now millions of Christians face persecution because of their faith in Christ. Register to receive the Open Doors USA Weekly Prayer Alert email. Join alongside thousands of others praying for our brothers and sisters worldwide to stand strong in the midst of their struggles. Also learn more about countries where the persecution of Christians is most severe by visiting the Open Doors website today.