Treasure | Matthew 6:21
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
I have always thought “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” should have read “For where your heart is, there your treasure will be also.” Don’t we always follow our heart? Jesus knew exactly what the word placement should be. He well understood that man’s heart always follows his stuff.
It’s hard for us to get a good assessment of our heart. I have seen the most “rational” people rationalize the most ridiculous things. I have seen many “spiritual” people spiritualize the most earthly things. I have seen “godly” people go down a God-forsaken path. The OT prophet Jeremiah hit the nail on the head when he said: The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9). So we need to evaluate the tangible things in our life to determine where our heart is.
- Check your checkbook. Where is the money going? That's where your heart is.
- Check your calendar. How do you spend your time? That's where your heart is.
- Check your entertainment. How do you amuse yourself? That's where your heart is.
- Check your internet history. That's where your heart is.
- Journal your thoughts. What are the reoccurring themes? Those "echoes" - that's where your heart is.
- Replay your conversations. How do you use words? That's what's in your heart.
My "treasure" is the best tool to evaluate my "heart." Convicting, isn't it?
Father, I want my heart to beat for You. Help me to slow down long enough to assess where my heart is by evaluating where I put my money, time, and energy. Where I am off base, give me the desire to repent and the courage to change. In Jesus’ name. Amen.