More Than Words | Philippians 2:8 | Devotional
Philippians 2:8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross!
When we pray for God’s will to be done on earth as it is in heaven, we are putting forth a risky offering. We are asking that God’s perfect will be worked through our lives. We are placing ourselves in submission to that perfect will. For Jesus that meant death—even death on a cross!
What will that prayer mean for us? I don’t know what it will mean for you, but here are some things it could mean.
- Staying in a marriage and making it work even when everything inside of you want to call it quits.
- Foregoing a promotion and another move because of negative impact it will have on your family.
- Cutting back on recreational activities to spend more time at home.
- Deciding to pass on your “dream home” in order to give more instead of spend more.
- Down-sizing for spiritual reasons.
- Spending money on a short-term mission trip instead of a cruise.
- Using your gifts to serve the body of Christ.
- Serving at home or abroad in full-time ministry.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven…don’t pray it unless you mean it.
Father, move us from lip-service and tradition learned by rote to setting apart Christ in our hearts as Lord. Help us to pray risky prayers. For Jesus’ sake. Amen.