Ignored by Man, Chosen by God
“If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world” (John 15:19 NIV).
Friend to Friend
Have you ever felt that you were overlooked or ignored…like you were a nobody? Well, take heart girlfriend. You are not alone.
In the Bible, we read the story of when the prophet Samuel went to anoint the next king of
Samuel arrived in
“Oh yeah, I do have one more son,” Jesse said. “I almost forgot all about him. Little David is out taking care of the sheep. I’ll send someone to get him.”
David was so insignificant to his own father, that when the prophet requested an audience with all of his boys, the dad didn’t even think to invite him. However, he was the very one God had selected to be the next ruler of His chosen people. How exciting! You may have felt overlooked, disregarded, and ignored, but God has chosen you!
Ponder these verses…
- “Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience” (Colossians NIV
- “In him we were also chosen having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory” (Ephesians 1:11,12 NIV).
“Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies” (Romans NIV).
Dear Father, thank you that I am chosen and dearly loved. While there have been many times in my life where I was not chosen, I rejoice that You chose me! Help me to be an encourager to others who may feel neglected or discarded by those in their world. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Now it's Your Turn
- When was a time in your life when you felt rejected?
- The Bible says that we have a High Priest (Jesus) who has felt all the pain and suffering just as we have. How was Jesus rejected?
- At the same time, how was Jesus chosen by God?
- Consider writing down the verses in today’s devotion and post them somewhere you can see them often.
- *All Scripture references are from the NIV unless otherwise noted.
For more on today’s topic see Ultimate Makeover by Sharon Jaynes.
Girlfriends in God, Inc.