Follow the Holy Spirit's Lead
- Whitney Hopler Live It Editor
- 2002 17 May
Here are some ways you can follow the Holy Spirit's lead:
- Decide that you truly want to go where the Spirit leads you. If you're struggling with fear, remember that God's love and wisdom will always cause Him to act in your best interests.
- Think and pray about what is currently hindering your intimacy with God. Ask God to reveal sin that you need to confess, then confess it and ask for the grace you need to overcome it.
- Make worship a priority in your life. Arrange your schedule so that you have the time for focused, frequent worship. Sacrifice whatever else you need to so that you have room for God in all areas of your life. Conserve your time and energy to devote to His purposes. Commit to offering your entire life to God as an act of worship.
- Be prepared to be surprised. God may bring about unexpected situations in your life, and you'll be transformed in ways that change the core of who you are as a person. As you follow the Holy Spirit, you may take a path that's far different than the one you would have chosen yourself.
- Claim your identity in Christ. Don't look for your identity anywhere else. Ask God to show you how He sees you, then have confidence in Him to help you stay focused on His purposes for your life.
- Fight complacency in your life. Don't settle for living for God only part of time; strive to do so all the time. Pursue the constant growth that God wants for you.
- Don't give yourself the option to drop out of the Christian life. Remain committed, relying on the Holy Spirit to strengthen you.
- Serve others whenever the Spirit asks you to do so. Remember that God will always help you do what He asks. Use the resources you have, trusting God to multiply them once you step out in faith. Let God use your service as a way for Him to channel His love through you to other people.
- Humble yourself regularly before God. Seek His holiness, not self-righteousness. When you attend a church service, look for God to express Himself rather than seeking to express yourself.
- Pursue forgiveness and reconciliation with others with whom you've been in any type of conflict. Strive for unity in the body of Christ.
Adapted from Follow the Fire, copyright 2001 by Steve Gray. Published by Charisma House, a part of Strang Communications Company, Lake Mary, Fl., www.charismahouse.com.
Steve Gray has gained world recognition as a leading voice in the revival movement. He serves as pastor of the World Revival Church in Kansas City, Mo.
Have you encountered the Holy Spirit recently in your life? If so, how did the experience change you? What are some of the ways you're trying to follow the Spirit's lead in your life, and what challenges and rewards have come about through the process? Visit Crosswalk's forums to discuss this topic by clicking on the link below.