- Whitney Hopler Live It Editor
- 2002 9 Aug
Most people do have latent passions that they choose not to pursue because they're just not motivated enough. But sometimes those passions reach levels too intense to ignore. That's when people take action and change life for the better.
Here are some ways to ignite your sparks of passion to make a difference in the world:
- Ask God to prevent you from growing complacent with the status quo in your life. Invite Him to inspire you with new ideas on a regular basis. Ask Him to give you the desire for change and the courage to embrace it.
- Remember that investing your resources in what God wants you to pursue is always worth it, no matter what the cost. Focus on God rather than your present circumstances, and decide to trust God to help you accomplish everything He intends you to do. Don't worry or give into excuses; rely on God's strength.
- Imagine how the world might be a better place if you acted on your passions. Consider the great potential that would go unfulfilled if you don't act. Study the lives of other people who have chosen to act on their passions and ended up contributing significantly to the world.
- Keep in mind that you can put a passion into action during any stage of life. Don't wait until later if you sense God leading you to act now.
- Consider all the different areas of your life in which you can make some changes that could transform lives: your relationships with family and friends, your career, your worship, your education, your service, your hobbies, etc. Don't overlook any area that God might want to use.
- Ask God to help you discern which of your passions truly aligns with His will. Evaluate your ideas in light of God's guidance, asking Him to confirm them for you.
- Cultivate a sense of expectancy. Anticipate that God will work in exciting ways as you pursue your passions, and be eager to discover what happens. Know that your work will never be in vain if you're answering God's call.
- Don't compare yourself to others. Strive to fulfill God's unique purposes for you life.
- Be determined to follow through. Don't allow yourself to become distracted or defeated.
- Renew your spirit daily by praying and meditating on Scripture.
- Be patient. Remember that the process of activating your passions and seeing them transform lives make take a while, but that every day matters and helps you make progress.
Adapted from Flash Points: Igniting the Hidden Passions of Your Soul, copyright 2002 by Stephen Arterburn and Angela Hunt. Published by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Ill., www.tyndale.com, 1-800-323-9400.
Stephen Arterburn is the creator of Women of Faith conferences, the largest traveling conference in the United States, and New Life Clinics, the world's largest provider of Christian counseling. You can hear him weekdays on the nationally syndicated live call-in radio program New Life Live on a Christian station in your area. He is the editor of the Life Recovery Bible, the author of more than forty books, and the recipient of a Gold Medallion award. He lives with his wife, daughter, and their dogs in Laguna Beach, Ca.
What desires do you have simmering inside that you haven't pursued yet? What challenges do you face when trying to get motivated enough to act on a dream? How has God helped you fulfill a passion in the past, and how has that resulted in changed lives? Visit Crosswalk's forums to discuss this topic by clicking on the link below.