Grace Empowers You
- Whitney Hopler Live It Editor
- 2001 17 Dec
Here are some ways you can embrace the gift of God's grace:
- Rather than focusing on living up to rules of holy living, focus on building a closer relationship with the person of Jesus Christ. Realize that no human being can perfectly fulfill all the spiritual principles the Bible mentions if he or she is trying to do so alone. Know that the power that enables you to grow in holiness comes directly from Christ. Seek greater intimacy with Christ. Fall in love with Him, and enjoy the relationship you have with Him.
- Know that God accepts you for who you are, not what you do. Don't hide from Him because you feel like a failure - you're a success in God's eyes because you're made in His image. Don't try to earn His favor, because you already have it.
- If you've been holding onto control of any aspects of your life, relinquish control and trust God - who has infinite wisdom and power - with them. Invite God to express Himself through you in any ways that He desires.
- Ask God to show you specific ways in which He wants you to grow and to give you the grace you need to do so.
- Consider whether you're too busy to hear the Holy Spirit speaking to you. If you are, make the changes necessary so that your relationship with God has top priority in your life, receiving the best of your time, energy, and attention. Regularly listen for what God has to say.
- Ask God to cause your desires to align with His so that you're motivated by what matters most to Him.
- Take your eyes off yourself and look at others. Invest time in them, looking for opportunities to encourage them by offering unconditional love.
- Allow others to be who God has created them to be rather than insisting that they worship exactly the same way as you do. Celebrate the diversity that exists within the unity of the universal church, with Christ as the head.
- Be patient, waiting confidently for God to act in ways He has promised to act.
- Enjoy a sense of humor.
Adapted from Grace Walk by Steve McVey, copyright 1995 by Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Or., www.harvesthousepubl.com, 1-888-501-6991.
Steve McVey is the President of Grace Walk Ministries, a discipleship-training ministry in Atlanta, Ga.
How does it make you feel to know that God's grace is always available to you? When you've accepted God's grace and sought to live in His power rather than your own, how has your life been different? Visit Live It's forum to respond, or read what others have to say. Just click on the link below.