- Whitney Hopler Live It Editor
- 2001 8 Aug
Here are some ways you can strive to be more peaceful:
- Remember all that Jesus did for you on the cross, and rejoice that He has made it possible for you to have spiritual peace. He offers you eternal salvation, victory over evil forces and power to grow as a person. The assurance of these gifts can bring you great peace.
- Know that God cares about every aspect of your life and has the power to help you in every situation. Have confidence in God's constant presence with you, and seek to encounter Him more through prayer.
- If anything has become more important to you than God, it has become a false god in your life. Make God your highest priority, and His peace will reign in your life.
- When facing conflict, pray to discover God's will, then act on it. Acknowledge and obey God's answer, even if you don't necessarily understand or even like it. Your faithfulness will eliminate the inner turmoil that comes from indecision and warring wills. In time, you will likely see the wisdom behind God's decisions, which lead to ultimate peace.
- Don't allow yourself to become distracted from following a particular course of action to which you've sensed God calling you. Focus your attention intently on your plan, trusting that God will help you fulfill it, and you'll have peace as you proceed.
- Let others see you trust in God in various situations. When you illustrate what it's like to receive and live in the center of God's peace, you'll be extending peace to others, as well.
- Serve others with compassion, despite the stresses involved in doing so. When you faithfully fulfill work God wants you to do, He will send you His peace.
- Read and think about God's words to you in the Bible. Derive peace from His promises in Scripture.
- Realize that although much of life is uncertain, God doesn't change, and you can always count on Him.
Adapted from The Fruit of the Spirit Bible, New International Version, copyright 2000 by The Zondervan Corporation, Calvin Miller, general editor. Published by Zondervan, Grand Rapids, Mich., www.zondervan.com, 1-800-727-3480.
Dr. Calvin Miller has served as pastor of Westside Church in Omaha, Neb., since 1966. He has authored more than 25 books.