50 Things I Love on My 50th Birthday
Dena Johnson Martin Crosswalk.com blogspot for Dena Johnson of Dena's Devos
- 2021 May 23
Today is my 50th birthday!
Honestly, that’s really hard for me to even say. I don’t feel 50. I hope I don’t look 50. I don’t want to be 50. But I am.
In all reality, my 50th birthday is so much better than my 40th birthday. Ten years ago, I was in the depths of despair. My divorce was fresh. I was struggling financially. I was lonely. I was hurting. And I was nowhere near where I expected to be at the age of 40.
Today, I can look back on the last decade of my life and see so much beauty. I have an amazing husband who truly loves me as Christ loves the church. I’ve watched my kids grow and blossom into amazing young adults. I have made so many friends over the last years. I’ve had the opportunity to share my life around the globe. And I have seen the hand of God, His faithfulness, through the darkest season of my life.
What more could a girl want?
I’ve been trying to figure out what I wanted to say this week, and I’m going to try to come up with a list of 50 of my favorite things in honor of my 50th birthday. So here goes!
- Obviously, God is at the top of my list. He is amazing! If you don’t know Him, please let me introduce you. He is the only reason I survived the last 10 years.
- My sweet husband Roy. Yes, I avoided him for much of the last decade, but I’m so glad I let him into my life. I’m so glad God did an amazing work in Him.
- My firstborn, Blake. He’s always been my gentle giant. He’s my friend. He still loves to talk to his mama. That makes me smile.
- My second-born, Cole. He’s always packed so much passion into a small package. It is so much fun watching him build a passion and work so hard at his career. He has found his place in this world as a firefighter!
- My baby girl, Cassie. I’ve always said the world was her stage! She loves using her gift to bring the body of Christ to the foot of the throne! I can’t wait to see where God takes her!
- My parents. I would have never made it through this journey without them. They were always there, always loving, always supporting. I am truly blessed.
- My extended family—brother, sisters, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, in-laws! How can one person be blessed with so many of the most amazing people on the planet!
- Friends! Far and wide. Many I have never met in person and yet I feel like they have been with me from childhood.
- Church family. We haven’t been at Woodland Hills very long, but they have loved us and accepted us from day one.
- An opportunity to share my story. Only God could orchestrate events so that my story could be shared around the world at this time. The ministry He has given me is so much bigger than anything I could ever ask, hope, or imagine.
Now I’m going to change just a little and share some of my favorite products at this time in my life. Maybe you will want to try them out!
- The LumiSpa! If you don’t know what a LumiSpa is, you have to try it! My skin has been so dry, and this amazing little tool has totally changed the look and feel of my skin.
- I guess I’m getting ready to learn to love the air fryer that my daughter and her boyfriend bought me for my birthday. You can get one on Amazon here.
- OK. I admit it. I can’t live without my Roomba! We currently have 5 dogs in our home, and Roomba is a lifesaver!
- I have to admit that I love my bronzing pearls! It makes my morning routine so simple!
- Now that the masks are going away, I get to put color on my lips again! My favorite?
- I’m all about comfort, and My Hoka shoes are essential!
- And while we are talking about Hoka, I also love my Apple watch! I try really hard to get my 10,000+ steps in every day!
- Roy bought me some air pods for my birthday. I’ve only used them once, but I’m so excited! Since my neck surgery, I have a really hard time using my phone and doing anything else.
- Amazon prime. I never thought I would pay for it, but it has been invaluable during Covid! I order so many daily essentials from Amazon.
- Zip fizz. Maybe you’ve never heard of it, but I put it in my water every morning. I’m not a coffee drinker, so it takes the place of coffee.
Here are some books that have made a huge impact on my life over the last decade.
- The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson has to top the list! I need to go back and read it again.
- The Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn. So incredibly eye-opening!
- The Harbinger 2 by Jonathan Cahn.
- I could go through all of Jonathan Cahn’s books, but I think I will just leave it at all of his books. If you are interested in prophecy at all, don’t miss it!
- And, all books by Mark Batterson. I order them all as soon as they come out.
- Experiencing God Bible study by Henry Blackaby. It is life changing!
- For fiction books, I don’t miss a John Grisham book. Either my dad or I buy it, and then we pass it on.
- Love him or hate him, The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey is full of great tips on managing money! Link
- Although some people think it’s heretical, The Shack by William Paul Young was life-changing. Just remember that it is a fictional book!
- Let’s add all of Craig Groeschel’s books. Can’t go wrong with them!
Here are some of my favorite podcasts!
- I listen to Life.Church every single week!
- I also love listening to the National Community Church podcast.
- Andy Stanley has some great sermons at North Point Community Church.
- Arise Ministries has a great podcast for single moms. Check out the Equip podcast!
- I haven’t listened to NewSpring Church in a while, but they have some solid teachings as well.
- If you need a good laugh and some inspiration, check out Bob Goff’s Dream Big podcast.
- Jennifer Maggio has some great tips on her Single Mom 101 podcast.
- There’s also the old sermons of some of the greats such as Charles Stanley and Chuck Swindoll.
- Maybe it’s not a podcast, but I love my K-Love! It plays around here 24/7.
- And finally, if K-Love isn’t working, I turn on my Amazon Music to the Christian station.
Finally, here are some of my favorite Bible verses.
- Isaiah 26:3
- Romans 8:28
- Isaiah 43:18-19
- Joshua 1:9
- Isaiah 41:10
- 1 Peter 5:10
- Psalm 37:4-7
- Romans 12:1-2
- Philippians 4:8-9
- Jeremiah 29:11
I could probably go on and on about this category, but some of my favorites!
What about you? What are some of your favorite things at this time in your life?