Trump to Deliver First State of the Union Address Tonight
Amanda CasanovaReligious persecution, missions, Christianity around the world
- 2018 Jan 30
President Donald Trump will make his first formal State of the Union address tonight.
In 2016, Trump made an informal joint address to Congress. He spoke for about an hour. His address drew some 47.7 million viewers, as compared to Obama’s 2016 State of the Union address, which had just over 30 million viewers.
The speech will start at 9 p.m. Eastern Time.
Here’s what you need to know before watching:
1. Immigration – His big message will probably be about his immigration policy. He’s expected to talk about a “legislative framework” that addresses Dreamers. The White House press secretary said it would be a “compromise” both parties could support.
2. Economics – He is expected to also discuss the country’s economic growth and recent tax changes.
3. “Peace through Strength” – After North Korea’s nuclear threats, Trump will also talk about a national security policy that emphasizes “peace through strength.”
4. Infrastructure – Trump promised a 10-year blueprint to rebuild America during campaigning, and he’s expected to talk about his plan. Under his new plan, grant awards to cities can only receive 20 percent of the total project cost.
5. Unscripted – As many well know, Trump has gone off script before and can be unpredictable. He may address other concerns in an unscripted speech.
Rep. Joe Kennedy III, of Massachusetts, will deliver the Democratic response.
Photo courtesy: Wikipedia
Publication date: January 30, 2018