A DAY LIKE NO OTHER
Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”
When a day is going to be significant, there is a countdown. High school and college seniors know their graduation date even when it’s over 100 days away. (Yes, I was part of that group.) Engaged couples want to run down the aisle months before their ceremony. (The month before our wedding may have been the slowest 31 days of my life.) Excited parents closely watch the calendar as they anticipate their baby’s due date. (Enjoy the opportunities to sleep too!) Exhausted employees get a surge of energy as they tell you about their plans for retirement. We are wired to look forward to coming events. Longing for an improved future is a desire that will be fulfilled. There is a day on God’s schedule when He will usher in a new heaven
, and earth.
The promises of God are drenched in His grace! There are so many promises in the Bible that relate to our future. In this passage, Jesus states that after His death and resurrection He will go to heaven. As we wait for His return, He reminds us to not give in to despair. This world is starved for hope, but there is incredible hope when we choose to trust God. And Jesus gave us a promise with a full guarantee that He is preparing a place for us in heaven and one day He will return and take His followers to be with Him forever. Jesus’ return is not a question mark; it is a fact.
What does the Bible say should be our response to His return?
1) Don’t try to guess the hour of His return. Acts 1:6-7 tells us that we will not know the exact time of His return. It will come unannounced. Unfortunately, many people won’t be ready for it. The Bible says no one will ever be able to know the exact time of Jesus’ return. Ignore any “experts” who claim to have figured out the date.
2) Long for His appearing. 2 Timothy 4:8 confirms that it will be an incredibly good day for all of those who love Jesus. It is good to want this day to come soon.
3) Get rid of rebellion. 2 Peter 3:10-13 describes the intensity of that day and how we are to be prepared now by living a pure and holy life. May Jesus find us faithful when He returns.
Be aware of the signs of the times. In Matthew chapter
24, Jesus gave several warnings and prophecies about the end times
. Don’t be naive, pay attention to what is happening in the world.
1) What movies and books are there about Jesus’ return: are they accurate?
2) Have you studied Biblical prophecy or the book of Revelation; if yes, what did you learn?
3) What changes do you need to make in your life knowing Jesus will return?
4) What do you find most comforting about the promises of Jesus and His return?
5) What can you do to let the world know about Jesus’ return?
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. You will meet the Lord and be with Him forever.
1 Corinthians 15:12-58. You will receive a resurrected body that won’t perish.
Acts 1:1-11. Jesus’ return will be physical and visible; eagerly await that day.
Matthew 24:26-51. Jesus’ return will be sudden and unexpected like lightning.
Revelation 22:7-21. God guarantees that Jesus will return and reign: be ready.
Faithful God, I know that You will keep your promises, and Jesus will return. I eagerly look forward to that day. Even if the world rejects Your truth, Your plan can’t be stopped. Thank You for preparing a place for me in heaven. I confidently rest in Your guarantee today and spread the good news, in Jesus’ name. Amen.
For more from Pastor Jesse Bradley and Activate Media Ministries, visit www.activatelife.org